Futons are an awesome and cheap alternative to furnishing your room. They come in a variety of colors and materials, at an affordable price that won’t break the bank. Many “minimalist” designers have begun to expand into the futon market, due to the light weight designs, and modern looks, the best futons can compliment almost any layout.
Best Futons Comparison Chart
With so many different options available, we are 100% sure than you can find a futon that fits your style and budget. We’ve listed up a few of our favorites below to help get you started on your purchase of a super comfortable futon.
|Westfield Wood Futon Frame||Wooden Futon||4.5/5||$$|
|Mainstays Metal Arm Futon with Mattress||Metal Futon||4/5||$|
|Emily Convertible Futon||Leather Futon||4/5||$|
|Chelsea Convertible Chair||Futon Chair||4.5/5||$|
|Mozaic Gel Memory Foam Futon Mattress||Memory Foam Futon||4/5||$$|
|Over Futon Metal Bunk Bed||Futon Bunk Bed||4/5||$$|
|Rosemount Sofa Futon and Drawer Set||Futon with Storage||4.5/5||$$$|
|Emoor 6-Pieces Japanese Futon Set||Japanese Futon||5/5||$$|
What are the different types of futons?
Futons can come in a large variety of colors, materials, and designs, here are a few of the more common types of futons you will see:
- Wooden Futons – Wooden futons are a excellent choice for a more classier look and feel to the room. The downside to the wooden futon however is that they are more fragile. If you have kids or the futon will be seeing much use, it can be worthwhile to invest a little more into a stronger and more robust wooden futon that will support you and the family for years to come.
- Metal Futon – When you think of your typical futon, this is what comes to mind. Metal futons are the one of the best options for college dorm rooms, or rooms where you need to conserve on space and is easy to move. These futons will the the cheapest of the lot, so pick up one of these up if you are tight on cash.
- Leather Futons – These futons are among the most stylish of all the designs. The leather futons are going to be more robust than your average futon. The modern look of the leather creates an eye catching design that will compliment any contemporary room layout. If you aren’t afraid to spend a little more money, than a leather futon is an outstanding choice. Read more on the best leather futons.
- Futon Chairs – Looking for a unique piece of furniture to liven up the room? Futon Chairs are a cozy addition that can really tie the room together. Great for your lakefront cabin.
- Memory Foam Futon – The ultimate “couch potato” futon. These futons are made for the person seeking maximum relaxation. The memory foam contours to your every shape, making it an awesome alternative to expensive beds. Memory foam futons are all the rage right now so if you want to experience one of the best futons for sleeping, we highly recommend looking into these.
- Futon Bunk Beds – Looking for a futon for the kids? Futon bunk beds are an excellent space saver for any kids bedroom. The bottom piece can lay flat or sit up, while the top bunk is a bed. The space these futon bunk beds save will allow for you to store their toys, gadgets, and gizmos in their room, and not all over the house.
- Futons with Storage – If space saving is the number one priority, you can’t go wrong purchasing a futon with storage. These futons have pull out draws underneath, making for the ultimate all in one sleep/storage unit. These kinds of futons are great for someone pressed on space, like a new dorm room at college, or want a space to sleep, while having people over at your studio apartment.
- Japanese Futons – Japanese futons are a unique twist on the conventional futon. These consist of a mattress, a comforter, and a pillow. These futons are usually placed on the floor. They are an awesome minimalist solution, as they can be stored away in a closet very easily.
Other futon options run the gambit for designs. Modern, classic, minimalist, you name it, there is a futon option out there for you.
Which Futon is right for me?
The right futon for you and your family is going to depend on a lot of factors. The first decision you are going to want to make is what frame material you want. There are advantages and disadvantages to each option, and doing your homework will ensure you pick the best one for you.
Metal futons are much much lighter than your wooden futons. If you are concerned about having to move the futon, or whether they can scratch up your floor, than the lighter option would be best. If you are searching for a more permanent solution, than the wooden futon frame might be the one for you. The wooden futons are going to be much more luxurious, and are meant to be a permanent addition to your rooms.
How about a cheap alternative to a La-z-boy? A futon chair is perfect for the tv watcher than wants to kick back and take a nap after their show has finished.
The next decision is which mattress to choose. Each option is going to drastically change the feel of the futon, so this step is arguably the most important as it concerns how comfortable your futon is going to be.
The cheapest futon mattress is going to be your standard coil spring futon mattress. These mattresses are relatively cheap, and will give you the typical futon feel. If you are looking for a budget solution while sacrificing comfort, than go with the coil spring mattress.
If maximum comfort is the top priority, than you cannot go wrong with a memory foam futon mattress. Feel your stress melt away as you lounge in the contour forming material of the mattress. These types of mattresses are great for the person who will use a futon as their main sleeping area.
Lastly, you have the leather futon. The leather futon mattress is a looker. Turn heads in your home with this contemporary take on the futon. The leather futon is going to have the perks of being much cooler, as the leather doesn’t retain too much heat.
How much do these futons cost?
When it comes to furnishing a room, you’ll be relieved to know that futons are among the cheaper pieces of furniture you will purchase. Amazon has a great variety of futons at all sorts of different price ranges, so you can surely find something within your budget. If you are looking for a cheap all-in-one solution, you can find your most basic futons ranging from $100-$200. If you have a more luxurious futon in mind, you can expect to pay anywhere from $300-$500. When you consider that the average sofa or bed costs $800, you are getting a significant savings when purchasing a futon.
If you are looking to customize your futon to your desires, expect to pay >$600. Memory foam mattresses are a great addition to any futon frame, but they come a higher cost compared to your typical coil spring mattresses. Also, get creative with cool and unique designs on your futon mattress cover.
Why Purchase a Futon?
You might be wondering, why would I even want a futon? Well there are a number of advantages to owning a futon. For starters, futons are the ultimate space saver. A futon doubles as a bed and a couch, so if you are pressed on space, than a futon is a must have. You can feel confident that your guests can have a place to sit or sleep. Secondly, is the price. Futons are very affordable when compared with the other options such as a bed or couch. Don’t stress over how you are going to furnish your room on a budget when you can buy a cheap futon for sale. Finally, purchase a futon if you know you might move frequently. Futons are popular on college campuses due to these ease of moving. Purchase a cheap futon to throw in your kids new dorm room and they’ll thank you later when it comes time to move it.
Our Top Picks
We’ve carefully selected a few products (as seen in the comparison table) to review and give you an idea of what you can expect with each different type of futon.
Westfield Wood Futon Frame
Our top pick for the wood futon category is the Westfield Wood Futon Frame. This futon frame features a beautiful and rich wood grain, that will make any room in your house pop. The side wooden slats make it a very stylish futon that you’ll be proud to show off to your friends. The frame is available in full and queen sizes, so you can accommodate anyone. Feel confident that you bought one of the most stylish wooden futon frame son the market
Mainstays Metal Arm Futon With Mattress
If you are looking for a cheap futon for sale, you cannot go wrong with the Mainstays Metal Arm Futon With Mattress. The futon is super light, comfortable, and very durable, which is a must if you have children. This futon is an excellent choice for someone on a budget, or someone just entering into the futon world for the first time. Trust us, after one use, you will be hooked.
Emily Convertible Futon
Modern, sleek, and clean, if that’s what you are looking for in a design for a room, then the Emily Convertible Futon is an excellent choice. The leather mattress provides a firm, yet comfortable experience, and will surely tie together any room. Act like you are in 2016 and purchase this modern futon for your home.
Chelsea Convertible Chair
Buying a little something for yourself? Get yourself an awesome gift and purchase a Chelsea Convertible Chair. These single futon chairs are an awesome addition to any family room. Kick back, turn on the game, and melt into one of these luxurious chairs. Just finished a movie and want to nap? No problem. Turn the chair into a lounger and catch some z’s.
Mozaic Gel Memory Foam Futon Mattress
“Couch lock” will be given a new meaning after you try the Mozaic Gel Memory Foam Futon Mattress. The gel memory foam will form to your every curve, providing sturdy support, while providing maximum comfort. Coil spring mattresses are very stiff and can lead to back and seat pain. Memory foam solves this by forming to your shape, so every seat you take we’ll feel as relaxing as possible.
Over Futon Metal Bunk Bed
Is your family home tight on space? Are your kids’ bedroom starting to look like a storage shed? Well save some space with the Over Futon Metal Bunk Bed. This convertible futon bunk bed is perfect for child’s bedroom. Play video games on the bottom futon, climb up top and get some shut eye, this bunk bed is ideal for the overcrowded bedroom.
Rosemount Sofa Futon and Drawer Set
Trying to go for that minimalist style? Then the Rosemount Sofa Futon and Drawer Set is a perfect addition to your family room. A coffee table with lots of drawers can take up too much room and ruin your chic vision, so save on some space and purchase a futon that has storage underneath. The beautiful wood frame will tie the whole room together and leave your friends speechless.
Emoor 6-Pieces Japanese Futon Set
The most unique of all the futons, the Emoor 6-Pieces Japanese Futon Set is a Japanese take on the futon. Having only a mattress, comforter, and pillow, these futons are easy to store around the house. They are perfect for kids sleepovers too!
By now you should have a really good idea of whats on the market, and can feel confident about making your futon purchase.